The Wimberley head is a specialist head for large super telephoto lenses that have a lens foot.
It is not for camera and lenses which don’t have a lens foot.
You will require a heavy duty tripod to take full advantage of this head.
You will also require a Arca-Swiss lens plate mounted on your lens foot.
The WH-200 Wimberley Head is a specialized tripod head, its gimbal-type design allows you to easily manipulate very large lenses. It incorporates an elevated tilt mechanism and an adjustable platform to perfectly align the center of gravity of a big lens with the tilt axis of the head. This design allows your lens to be perfectly balanced, meaning that a 15 pound 600mm f/4 can be manipulated as if it were weightless.
The WH-200 offers the same stability, capacity, and fluid movement of its predecessor yet weighs in one pound lighter and is about two inches shorter! The head’s redesigned panning base has zero play and the pan locking knob has been moved to the side, allowing the user to easily operate both knobs with the same hand. New lobed soft-touch knobs provide a more comfortable grip and perform better when using gloves. This new version of the Wimberley Head has a built-in Arca-Swiss style quick-release clamp and is not available in a non-quick-release model.
The Wimberley Head II has these features:
- 1 pound lighter than the old version (3.15 lbs compared to 4.15 lbs)
- Compact: 5/8 inch narrower and almost 2 inches shorter than the original.
- Improved ergonomically with both knobs located on the same side of the head, making it easier to o operate both knobs with the same hand.
- New, 5-lobed, soft touch knobs are comfortable and easy to grip in cold weather or with slippery or gloved hands.
- Better variable tension: it does not have separate controls for tension and locking, but the locking controls deliver smooth resistance with diminished stick-slip.
- There is no play or sloppiness in the pan base, even when the head is unlocked.
- The dovetail on the swinging arm of the new Wimberley Head, which allows adjustments of the platform up and down, now has the Arca-Swiss geometry.
Please note that the original Wimberley Head Flash Module 5 is not compatible with the new Wimberley Head without the use of an adapter. This adapter (the FA-09 Wimberley Head Flash Adapter) is available separately. The new head uses the Flash Module 9, developed specifically for the Wimberley Head II. The Module 9 is compatible with the Module 6 Extension Post and Module 3 Tilt Arm, the modules most commonly used with the Wimberley Flash Head Module. You can also purchase the Module 9 and the Module 3 together as the Wimberley Combo 9.